View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Please consider the new group you are the first president of your first priority. You state you know the group you began will take a lot of your time this Fall. How is that not enough on your plate? Any new org needs strong leadership for the first years, and as its first president you will be setting the tone for its future.

ALL sororities are time-consuming on members, not just colonies. While its best to meet all the chapters at formal in Fall, your invitation options may be small. Women will see your important leadership role, but (being honest) some will wonder if you will have the time to lead and participate within two groups.
Your viewpoint is valid, but I still would question: why can't she do both? Maybe she can't...if her new organization is as time consuming as, say, a full time job clearly she can't do both. But I'd bet her organization is not that time consuming, even if it is time consuming.

There are so many Greek Life members who participate in many campus activities that are time consuming (sports teams, Student Government, running large clubs and charity organizations on campus, etc.). These members might not be leaders within their chapters (not everyone is going to be a leader within a GLO and that's okay!) but they add a lot to their chapters even if they are really busy and can't make absolutely every event (but clearly, a member should do their best to make the vast majority of events), and at least for my organization having members who are involved on campus and having that campus visibility is something that we value.

I've seen other organizations value the same thing, and we always stress that girls should be involved on campus and show leadership potential in order to maximize their chances at recruitment. Founding an organization and leading it is a huge show of initiative and leadership.

I agree that a new organization needs strong leadership, but there is such a huge variability in time commitment and I am willing to bet that it's likely that lovelygirl801 could make both work together unless the founding organization time commitment really is huge.

Also, a good leader knows when to delegate. I would bet that there is an Executive Board to this organization (if there is not then there should be) and that work can be delegated appropriately so that one person isn't swamped with all the work. If, after that, she really doesn't have time to be a sorority member...she should know that deep down and that's where I think that your questions, Cheerio, come in most helpful.

(Lovelygirl801...don't respond with specifics...I don't want someone to recognize who you are on this website. What you need to do is personally evaluate whether you have the time to give to a sorority and come to your own conclusion about what you want to do based on that.)

Last edited by robinseggblue; 03-30-2017 at 08:16 PM.