View Single Post
Old 04-27-2000, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

Barb-
I had to think for awhile on this one

My answer to the 1st part of the question is: re-initiate lost chapters and see more chapters colonized. Here's some background info...

My GLO grew quickly after it was founded, and was spread out across the U.S. quickly. We went co-ed in about '75 (I think this was when or about when most PFA GLO's went co-ed?) About this time, we lost quite a few chapters. Some of them, the schools themselves closed. Others were/are all-girls universities, so that hurt as as well. And there were a few than eliminated Greek life. And I'm sure there were numerous other reasons. Thankfully, the alumni chapters stayed pretty strong, and the collegiate chapters that exist are operating in full-swing.

After I pledged, I did some research (Baird's has so much cool stuff!) and saw just how many chapters were lost. So I started contacting the Greek Advisor's and/or Student Activities coordinator's at all of these schools that are still around to see if they had any records of the chapters that they could indulge me. Out of maybe 28 schools, only 1 of them had any records, and he was kind enough to put me in contact with the founder of that chapter! (She and I have exchanged several letters since).

So then I realized that eventually the alumni numbers would dwindle as well, and our awesome organization could eventually fade out. Which i definately don't want!

So to answer the 2cnd question: BOTH...

When I was a junior in school I started my chapter's website as a way to put us out into the world; let people know we are around and give them a way to contact us. Less than a year later, our nationals had an official site up and running. Since then, we've had several inquiries from students who are interested in colonization.

Now that I am an alumnae, I still maintain the site. So I get to stay in contact with a lot of students who find us that way. But I also get to be involved in a lot more national stuff, part of which is making each other aware of the potential for growth. Just putting each other in that mindset helps a lot. And I offered my assistance to our National Council in any way they could use help.

So, that's the 1 thing I really want to see happen w/ my GLO. And what's really exciting is that I'm seeing some of it happen right now.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter