View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I hated math. I just never did well in it. In High School, I took Algebra 1 & 2, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analysis, and Pre-Calculus. I took Calculus twice in college - the first time, I just couldn't get it and dropped the class, then retook it at my second college - the professor definitely made the difference in my ability to understand the concepts.

Often, during algebra, I would get the correct answer but not by following the rules of theorems or equations (see, I can't even remember the correct verbiage). I can do math in my head, but kind of do it backwards. I can't explain it any better than that.

But as an English/Journalism major whose career went from the Newsroom to the Advertising industry to Product Management in a world-leading internet company, and now as a housewife, I can say with absolute certainty that math happens in every day life.

From figuring out tips (divide by ten then add half to get to 15%), to using geometry to figure out angles for household projects with the hubby, to adjusting recipes for fewer or more servings than the original calls for, to estimating project timelines, to figuring out how far it is from point A to point B, or reading a "to scale" map, I absolutely use math on a regular basis.

I don't know if any of that helps.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 11-15-2011 at 10:48 AM.