View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Exactly - It IS a mutual selection process. Every chapter on a campus (except, MAYBE, for ultra-unusual superstar chapters at a few campuses) will lose PNMs they love at some point in recruitment. It might be on Bid Day instead of Round 1, but that's evidence of selection on the PNM side.

Conversely, how many PNMs truly get a bid to the chapter they ranked last every single day? I would say that's pretty unusual. The great majority of PNMs will have some say throughout their recruitment as far as which chapters they return to.

I think the reason why we have this idea that chapters are the ones deciding is only because we have a track record for how well chapters do in recruitment, and therefore we give them target numbers of women to return for each round of recruitment. The chapters know ahead of time about how many of their favorite PNMs to expect back, and will invite accordingly - but sometimes this means that a chapter is inviting back women they're fairly uncertain about for the next round. PNMs have no idea about their relative recruitable strength, so its an emotional shock when they aren't invited back to their favorite house.
I am QFPing this for myself because it's a wonderful point. My rec crew is in that panicky summer phase where they are past graduation distractions and have plenty of free time to obsess about the process, the numbers. (I get it... they want to make some knowable sense of an unknowable.) And I am trying to help them prepare emotionally and pragmatically for SEC and Big 12 heartbreaks.