View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't really think we should change the way the process works, although I do think there should be harsh penalties for false accusations (and sometimes this occurs). Sexual charges against men, contrary to what many would stay, are damning regardless of truth. This isn't the old days where people always side with the males. If you're accused or arrested of a sexual crime, even if dropped, that arrest record can be absolutely life ruining. We had a similar situation at my fraternity (didn't reach the level of a full police investigation), and needless to say the chapter was infuriated. In spite of the commonly held idea that fraternity guys are sexual prowlers, many chapters go out of their way to ensure this kind of stuff doesn't happen and also to avoid situations where accusations like this can arise. Thus, when unfounded allegations arise, it can be very frustrating and damaging.

This isn't to say that the girl here is lying, I'm just saying that poster's comments weren't completely without merit. The best thing to do in situations like this (in my opinion...this is what we did), is to immediately seek the truth. When the cops came to our house and this accusation arose, we went with the police to the hospital, where we told them we'd pay for whatever tests and treatment needed to be performed to find out the legitimacy of her claim. It ended up being false and she recanted, but even if it were true, we'd want to know as soon as possible. We're loyal to each other, but I and all others, to my knowledge, would refuse to harbor someone who did something like this.