View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 01:57 PM

I took a Roman history class during my freshman year. The prof was British and had the sarcastic streak that goes with it.

We had one listener in the class. Our midterm exam was held during a regular lecture hour halfway through the semester. The listener forgot that it was midterm day and showed up for what he thought would be a lecture... half an hour late. Everyone burst out laughing when he walked in, especially those who didn't know he was a listener. So he decided that, since he was there, he'd take a stab at the test in the remaining half hour.

The following week, the prof had our tests graded and ready to return to us. He started out by saying, "As some of you may be aware, we have a listener in this class. He arrived half an hour into the exam hour. He probably did not spend hours upon hours studying for the exam. He still received a C. Now, twenty of you also received C's. Fifteen of you received D's, and four received F's. Now, this gentleman is a listener, which implies that he actually listens during lecture. It would behoove the rest of you to begin to do the same!"