View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Pi Phi has never merged with another NPC group but has colonized some very old locals, Wake Forest and Valparasio are two that I can think of offhand.

And yes, racial issues did divide chapters in the 60s. To judge actions of that chapter or "nationals" with the more enlightened attitudes of today is just as wrong as some of the racial and religious clauses were in the 60s. While some were in writing and some were not, it was not uncommon for NPC groups to fobid chapters to pledge women who were not white and Protestant Christian in the past (yes, some chapters would not pledge Catholic or Jewish women). I'm not saying it was right to do so, just that it happened. Discrimination occured on many fronts then and understanding this will help chapter members of today understand some of the 'politically incorrect' attitudes that older members might let slip.

As a pledge of the late 70s, I have witnessed the attitudes change over the years. While conventions are still overwhelmingly Caucasion, there is more diversity now. As I am the recipient (and reader) of several reports submitted by the VP Mentals, I was surprised how many chapters have pledged/ initiated international students. That would NOT have happened even as recently as 1970.