View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana12 View Post
Haha I'm completely aware that it comes down to more things than that. I think she was just trying to be encouraging. It was a nice compliment, but I'm definitely not oblivious to the fact that those aren't the most important things. (Besides GPA) I'm not trying to be like every other girl in recruitment by thinking I'm pretty and smart and gaurenteed a bid because of those things. I came here to ask for honest opinions rather than biased.
KSU Violet did give you an honest opinion. Actually that's what you're getting here. *shrug* you may or may not like what you're reading. We have no control over that, just as we have no control over what the actives in any chapter do during recruitment and membership selection. I'm sitting here in the inferno known as Arizona, wishing I had some control over the weather. Not happening.

Suggestion: read extensively in the recruitment forum. Focus on information about Alabama in addition to information about recruitment in general, including what to do and how to do it. I checked out the Alabama Panhellenic page; plenty of great information there also.

Bottom line (my honest opinion, as you requested): your chances as a junior are significantly impaired by your age/year in school. You are competing with thousands of PNMs who are "the whole package" and who have four years of potential membership (translation: dues paying) ahead of them. Finances are a consideration in bidding upperclassmen; don't think that is not a fact. How can you make yourself desirable despite your class standing? THAT is the question you ask yourself, and you research and find answers.

As others have said, including some who are quite familiar with Alabama, keep your mind wide open. Don't listen to tent talk (although that's probably impossible). Alabama has 17 of the 26 NPC member groups on campus this fall, with Sigma Kappa colonizing in Fall 2018. You have opportunities ahead of you. I wish you good luck. Because membership is for a lifetime, not for two years (in your case). You will have some challenges in a pledge class (okay "new member class") full of 17-19 year olds. Cross that bridge when you come to it. The first hurdle is recruitment.