View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on the job offer! Here's my two cents from having friends who've moved from the US to the UK...of course, those on this board who've done so can speak to this best, but I've not seen these things mentioned so thought they're worth a post. And given the timeline from when you first posted about this, you may have already checked into this!

Look into the tax situation so there are no surprises. My understanding is that you are dually taxed: you are taxed by the U.S. and also pay taxes to the UK.

I'd also investigate fully the cost of living wherever you might go - London, for example, makes living in NYC look cheap. Not sure how other parts of the UK stack up, but it's worth doing. You're fortunate to have a friend who will rent you a room but even so, I'd get the details on that (how much is the rent) along with other cost-of-living items like groceries, transportation (the tube/bus in London is pricy or will you need a car?), etc. so that there will be fewer surprises when it comes to how far your salary will go.

Your friends over there - if they're American and understand how living costs translate - can help as well. There might be online calculators that can help, I know you can find them for comparing cost-of-living among US cities.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Last edited by NYCMS; 03-11-2018 at 06:52 PM.