View Single Post
Old 06-20-2001, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kappagirl00:
Another thing I thought about is the idea of assistant officers. HQ pretty much outlines which offices cannot have assistants and which can. I may be wrong about this, but this is always the impression that I've gotten. IMO, chapters should be allowed to have assistants that tailor the individual needs of their chapter. One of my friends is a Kappa at a school where all sororities have pretty small pledge classes, yet they still have an assistant New Member Educator who doesn't have anything much to do. Unhoused chapters have house managers -- what purpose do they serve exactly? There is no Assistant House Manager office that I know of, yet most housed chapters would welcome the addition of one. I guess my main point is a more general one. HQ needs to focus a little less on establishing national rules and a little more on evaluating the needs of each chapter and allowing them to modify national policy a little.
I've gotta agree with you here.... I think the reason that Kappa limited the number of assistant positions is so that a chapter wouldn't "create" ridiculous assistant positions for every girl in the chapter, so that everyone had an office to list on her resume.

But I think this could be easily overcome by changing the bylaws to state that a chapter has discretion to create and/or abolish "assistant positions", so long as their actions to do so are approved by a majority vote of the chapter advisory board and/or by the chapter's PDC.

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!