View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Vulnerable, emotional, fearful, anxious? Yes. Made of glass and excused from common conversation? No.

There's a difference between asking for sensitivity and feeding into victimization. VS said nothing wrong, just brought up the observation that whatever chapter is probably more diverse than the OP noted. It was not done insensitively or in an unkind manner so to say she "made the girl feel bad" is ridiculous. The OP is an adult woman in control of her own emotional reactions, no one can make her feel bad. It does a disservice to her to treat her as though that's not true.

Furthermore, pointing out a missed fact does not make someone a hater any more than having a misstep pointed out makes one hated on. What goes on here is a lot of teasing and it can be taken overboard, I'll give that much. But cyberbullying? Can destroy us, make us quit recruitment? IT'S A MESSAGEBOARD. It's not that serious. If it is for that person (not talking about the OP), then yes, I have no problem saying that the log out button's in the top right corner.
I don't believe that the OP was feeling "victimized". She was simply stating what she saw. This could have been the room she was in, the blur that is recruitment, or a lack of diversity. And that is what it is, her observations. Just as everyone does on their threads.

As far as this messageboard I find that most people are, most of the time, kind, sometimes terse (with good reason: How many times can the same question be asked when the answer is right in front of them? AAARGh to quote Charlie Brown), often very funny and intelligent.

As far as cyberbullying, a phrase that wasn't said or implied in my comment, if you read newpapers and/or watch the news, it can in fact be devastating. I hope that you aren't insinuating that, if a poster has a different viewpoint and/or asks for empathy for someone, that they should leave because they aren't part of your mindset/party: perhaps you might want to reconsider that idea.