View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

That Times article is pretty thorough.

I don't believe for a minute that those women didn't show dedication to recruitment. Perhaps DZ imposed standards on them that the org. felt would help with recruitment...such as losing weight, dressing better, nice hair cuts and makeup, etc. We all know that looking one's best helps chapter image, but I do feel it's unreasonable and very classless to tell your own sisters (lets remember the sorority's leadership are also sisters of the women in the DePauw chapter) "Lose weight or you're out"...if that's what was done. The sorority keeps saying these women were not committed to doing what HQ wanted in order to boost recruitment, and after reading all the stories and examples that have come out of it, it certainly seems that this is what was done. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

I don't believe it's OK to do WHATEVER is judged as necessary in order to save a chapter. If the sorority wanted to reorganize the chapter, it should have just judged the chapter in its entirety and made them all alumnae, then recruited a whole new chapter. They wouldn't have had to close the chapter, and they would have avoided this whole mess. I feel sorry for the sisters from this chapter who will probably live with this pain and have a tainted view of their college experience for the rest of their lives.