View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Never fear, I saw the Longhorn Signal.

Relatively recent UT alumna here. I’m going to give you some advice here and some more in direct message, so check that once you’ve read this.

UT rush is brutal. There is no other way to put it. BUT almost every PNM who keeps and open mind and finishes the process will receive a bid. Please remember that open mind part because it is the most important part of what I’m posting here.

You’re going to hear a lot about sorority tiers, both online, when you go to orientation, and once you arrive and start recruitment. The PNMs who get caught up in that are the ones who end up dropping out when they don’t get invited back to the chapters they think they “deserve.” Don’t be that girl. The truth is, every sorority at UT is great and there are out of state members in every house. Your odds of ending up in some of the sororities as an unconnected out-of-state student are essentially zero, but it’s nothing personal. Really! Some houses focus more on people we already know and their membership is very concentrated on a few areas and schools. I’m pretty sure half my pledge class and I were in Brownies together. There’s nothing you can do about it, so if they drop you look at it as an opportunity to return to chapters that are more geographically open minded and interested in you.Honestly, you’ll probably be more comfortable in those sororities anyway since it’s hard to break through established cliques in those more Texas based chapters. Keep an open mind. Don’t listen to anything others say. Every sorority has an active social schedule and honestly, once the crazy recruitment season ends, we all have friends in other chapters.

Get recommendations. THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION. THIS IS A MUST HAVE. You will be dropped after first set by most of the sororities if they didn’t receive recommendations for you. Two to three per chapter is the norm. You may hear people mention Letters of Support. It’s a Texas thing and pretty much anyone outside of Texas or who isn’t familiar with our ways will look at you like you have three heads and a tail if you mention them. It’s ok to get the regular recommendations the alumnae of each sorority you contact normally writes. Recs from people who actually know you are the best. Check out the thread on here that talks about how to find rec writers. It will help you a lot. When all else fails, you can register with your local Alumnae Panhellenic and get them from local women who don’t know you. Again, see that thread. START WORKING ON THIS NOW! You want them to be submitted by the middle of June at the latest, and May is better. Make it your job in the next couple of months.

Don’t go out and buy a new wardrobe of things that you think people are going to be impressed with. Dress cute and classy but be yourself. It will be hotter than satan’s sauna so keep that in mind.

Clean up your social media. Now. Sororities are going to start stalking you. Make sure it’s fun and light and classy. Make sure it reflects your best self. Stay covered up and don’t show anything that could be misconstrued as an alcoholic drink or worse. Avoid political rants, rants about people etc.

Be very careful if you’re approached by sorority members trying to dirty rush you during the summer. You don’t want to look like someone who’s overly interested in one group or get your hopes up/ misread their signals. Don’t go out with sorority members during orientation and don’t go to the parties you might get invited to. Needless to say, don’t be the drunk girl or the girl who flirts with or worse with some guy a sorority member likes. I can’t even tell you how many PNMs have cratered their recruitment this way, even if it looks innocent to you. Remember, people are watching and want to know how you will represent their sorority.

I think that’s it. Really, you will find your people even if they aren’t in the sorority you thought they were going to be in during rush. Keep an open mind. Did I mention that already?

Last edited by LadyLonghorn; 02-12-2018 at 10:20 PM.