View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
Not trying to pick a fight here, but the use of that phrase in this context brings the lolz. Mixers are serious business, folks.

Honestly, though, I don't see how joining a sorority constitutes committing to drinking in a basement with the bros* for the next four years, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. The responsibilities I pledged to uphold did not include partying with fraternity men so that other greeks would like us more. I joined a sorority to make friends (both male and female) and gain leadership experience. I did both, I guess in spite of my decision to skip some mixers and instead spend time doing things I found more enjoyable. I have absolutely no beef with the sisters who did like to go - more power to 'em. But the one-size-fits-all model of what it means to be a "good" sister who "honors her commitments" doesn't work on all campuses and in all chapters. And frankly, I'm not impressed the criteria being chosen in this thread for what constitutes a valuable member of a sorority.

*Yes, I realize that's not what constitutes a mixer on all campuses, but that's essentially what it was where I went to college.
Littleowl33 - I have a curiosity question that I am asking in all seriousness because the only thing I know about sororities and greek life is what my daughter tells me about how things work at the schools she's been at, and what I read on this forum, so I'm interested in how things work in different places.

You mentioned that you joined a sorority to meet friends - male and female which I think is true for most college kids (certainly was for mine) and I understand how a sorority would logically help you meet female friends. How did you think it was going to help you make male friends when you decided to rush and how did it, in fact, help you make male friends?

I guess what I'm asking is since you mentioned you didn't really care for the party/mixer/date dash/exchanges type of things what events or activities did you think a sorority was going to have or what events and activities did it have that helped you make male friends? I think that info might be helpful for the OP.

Last edited by AXOmom; 11-15-2011 at 08:16 PM.