View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
This week has been super crazy. Last Friday, I arrived in the UK after a harrowing connection in Toronto. I handed over my passport and boarding card to the Immigration fellow. He read that I was arriving in the UK for work, and asked for my Visa. I told him that it was attached electronically to my passport. He said that no, that's not how it works, and put me aside in a holding area.

I spent the day in the detention area while they called the school to figure out what was going on. So.....the school thought they HAD applied for my Work Visa, but they had only gotten my Certificate of Sponsorship. I showed Immigration the offer letter from the school, the emails they had sent me telling me that they had gotten the Visa, and the Visa number they had sent to me.

After sitting there all day (without any personal possessions, in a room with people who WERE actually trying to get into the country illegally), I was released on Immigration Bail and given one week in the country to try to get everything straight. I am being deported on Friday of this week. They determined that I had not used deception, that it was an honest mistake on both my part and the school. I am not banned from the country!!!!!!!

The UK taxpayer is footing the bill for my ticket to my "country of origin." I will then file for the Visa while int he US, and return in August. The Immigration officer also pointed out that even if I had gotten the Visa, I'm not allowed to enter the country until 14 days prior to the first day of my contract- which is Sept 1.

I went to the Club on Saturday to watch the England soccer game with my friends. By the end of the game, everyone in the club knew that I was being deported and wanted to meet me!!! I was the local curiosity that day. When I went to New Teacher Orientation at the school on Tuesday, the principal called me into her office to make sure that I was OK, because she was concerned I was traumatized. I assured her that I will be fine, and am excited to be here.

The school is amazing, the other teachers are so friendly, and the students are super-cute in their white shirts, ties and black crested blazers. I can't wait to actually get started!!!!!!!