View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unarose View Post
Surely alumnae of some of the groups they've had before, like Alpha Xi or Sigma Kappa, would be very supportive of trying again, particularly seeing how well Alpha Phi and Delta Gamma have done and how recruitment numbers have still grown?
I think there were a lot of issues (says Captain Obvious) preventing both Alpha Xi Delta and Sigma Kappa from considering expansion there. With the freedom to charge WHATEVER YOU NEED for housing there and a pool of available women that doesn't seem to be declining any time soon, I don't think think money has been the driving issue. But this weird back room control of the process, by not just alumnae of the chapters but some all-powerful kabal of OTHERS would have my sorority not wanting to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

To me, the toe in the water of diversity is more about the members having the power to choose the members they want. The problem is we don't know that has happened. The old broads could have gotten together and decided how exactly to make this PR nightmare go away, but not by actually allowing the collegians to determine their own membership. My guess is we aren't going to know that, but the expansion committees of these (and the rest of the NPC sororities not already there) are trying to figure out if the shackles have been removed. When that has been determined (and some space comes available), I think we'll be there. I'm guessing (and to be clear, I know NOTHING) there will be an announcement in 1-2 years with a longer than normal lag for expansion, of at least a full year.