View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We should hold ourselves to high standards and I am all for standing up for our sisters of color. I am saying that THIS bad joke alone does not make someone the poster child for claims of institutional racism on campus. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of calling this child a racist for a joke that reasonable minds can agree *may* have been said with no racist intent, in contrast to many of our own acts (or failures to act) which were clearly, unambiguously racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
So because people made racist unfunny jokes in the past we should continue to allow people to make racist unfunny jokes? It’s 2019 not pre-2000, she should know better than to say it at all and she should certainly know better than to post it on her public snapchat story. If we don’t hold ourselves to higher standards than the past we will continue to relive it. Standing up for each other includes standing up for our sisters of color, as well as holding each other to the higher standard set by our founders. If ALL student organizations cease to exist because we call out racist behavior than clearly there’s a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by What?; 09-09-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Typo