View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL @ KSU and ASTalumna

Why are your first two posts in hazing threads? Anyway...as stated previously, there are tons of threads on this topic. I'm bored, though, so here's some input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl2008 View Post
So since there are many news articles about hazing and everyone saying how hazing is wrong yada yada, I'm curious as to what anti-hazing people would do for a new member education program that would differentiate the greek system from another student organization besides the fact that you guys live together or hangout together and bs like that.
How about doing what your founders envisioned and following your official pledge/new member program?

Quote:
Now I am against certain parts of hazing ie doing anything blatantly stupid like binge drinking or paddling or hitting pledges. However, I do not see a problem with doing physical exercises ie situps/pushups/running etc or screaming/yelling at a pledge. I think that when under emotional and psychological stress, people can go above and beyond what they would under normal circumstances and thus can learn a great deal about themselves. If the pledge can't handle this type of thing, he/she is always free to drop/quit/leave whenever they choose. Greeks are not gangs. We do not beat you if you want to leave.
I laughed at this, considering your post in the "Does Your Chapter Haze" thread. Apparently, you agree with paddling in that thread.

Quote:
And while reading some anti-hazing sites, I can't help but wonder why people are so proud that they were showered with gifts throughout their pledgeship. Doesn't that basically mean that you didn't do anything and yet I guess you were so rich or famous or b/c of who your parents are the fraternity/sorority decided to treat you like royalty? Isn't that the problem with Americans these days? Everyone feels like they're entitled to stuff and no one wants to put in the good old fashioned hard work anymore?
They are probably proud because they're showing what they're worth AS MEMBERS. You can pledge your ass off, but if you're not doing anything as a member, it means nothing. I can't tell you how many people (in my organization and others) were bad-ass pledges, then fell off the face of the Earth after getting letters. I'd rather have someone who proves himself by helping out the organization rather than by exhibiting the most emotional/psychological scarring.

Quote:
Now obviously I think that when people die there is an obvious problem. However, out of the hundreds of news articles I've read and anti-hazing sites I've visited, I do not recall any that had someone dying b/c he/she was doing pushups/situps/running etc. They were all either drinking or being beaten to death.
The problem is that the little things eventually turn into big things. "We're just yelling at them" turns into "we're just yelling and having them do pushups" turns into "we're just yelling, making them do pushups, and swatting them ONE time" and so on.

Quote:
I am not really here to argue with anyone. However, I would like to know some constructive thoughts as to why people believe hazing is wrong. And remember, I am NOT including binge drinking/paddling etc in my argument b/c I also agree those should not be in any pledge program.

I look forward to an interesting discussion and to all your inputs.
Read the hundreds of threads in the Risk Management forum. They provide some interesting insight.