View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue
My daughter rushed last year, and it was not too intense because she is at an ACC school with a small number of sororities, but I won't say that I wasn't worked up the entire week. She was in a good position to make all the decisions on where she was going the next day, and some of them were very hard (on which house to drop), but she got her first choice and is very involved in her sorority, leadership roles on campus and Panhellenic. As much as she loves greek life, she says she doesn't think that she would've rushed at all if she'd been forced to go to her backup school (SEC) just by what she knows from her HS friends.

We shopped for her wardrobe, she called me every night and described every party, called me every morning and told me what decisions she had to make. After Bid Day we never heard from her until Thanksgiving, so I guess she was pretty happy with her choice!

When they went around the room after pledging to talk about what they knew about sororities and why they went through rush, she was one of the few who had parents who were greek. We think it may be because she is our oldest and we were in our 20's when she was born (which put us in college in the early 1980's). Most parents were there in the 70's when greek life was not as popular, so I think there may be fewer girls with that background going through rush. Her favorite teachers who are all a few years older than me, with kids in college, told her they never would've dreamed of being in a sorority in college. So I think there are a lot of moms out there who are really stressed because they have not been on either side of it....and there are a lot of moms out there who are really stressed because they HAVE been on both sides of it!

Other than the PITA of trying to find specific clothing items, this summer hasn't been too bad. We needed the break....we start college apps for daughter #2 soon, and the waiting and hoping is a big stressor. Then it's time to start the rush process all over again.....
For help with college selection go to talk.collegeconfidential.com. For those who think the GC parents are overinvolved with their kids' lives, this will be a real eyeopener.

I also graduated in the '80s but did not go through Southern School Sorority rush. Our Panhel was much more low-key, hence the stress of today!