View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtles1116 View Post
Mystic Cat, I went inactive right after our pledgeship ended, causing me to be a "neophyte."
Turtles, I'm afraid I'm still a little confused. I'm assuming from some of the details you gave—pledging, formals, social fund and a house—that you're talking about an NIC (IFC) fraternity. Like I said, there could certainly be some fraternities that do things in a way I'm not familiar with, but I've rarely, if ever, heard an NIC fraternity use the term "neophyte." In my experience, the fraternities that do use "neophyte" use it to mean a newly-initiated member. Again, in my experience, I've never heard of a pledge going "inactive." I'm wondering if this is something the chapter did, but that the national organization does not know about and would not recognize.

What exactly were you told about your status with the fraternity, and by whom were you told it?

And please understand, I'm only asking because I think it's important that you know exactly what your status is so that you can assess your options. The degree to which you might still be considered a "member" of the fraternity you pledged has a direct bearing on whether you might be able to rush other fraternities.