View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

So rewind briefly to some events during my freshman year and sophomore year:

Freshman year, went to an NPHC event at DC's state college -- my friend/co-worker was a big-time Mandingo at his school. Now, at the time I had no interest in Mandingos, even though their reputations preceded them. Nice guys, though.

The event had all NPHC orgs represented. It was at this panel that I met my first white Brian Pumper -- I wasn't shocked, but definitely surprised. He was a VERY down to earth dude. Not trying to be extra "urban" -- just himself. At the Brian Pumper table, I made probably my only faux pas as an aspirant. I asked him what one of the mascots meant. He politely told me that it had a special meaning to the members. I was like oh, okay, cool.

The Wesley Pipes boys were there....handsome, clean-cut, but not my kinda guys.

And there was one Lexington Steele -- isn't there always one? What struck me most about his presentation was that they were the most anti-hazing.

There was a similar event at another school later in the semester, and I had similar reactions to all the members.

My junior year, I attended another event, this time right at St. Wilona's. I was NEVER more certain that I made the right choice in not going Greek at all. Mr. Marcus' boys were a HOT MESS..... "the bruhs" this and "the bruhs" that and "the bruhs like to party" and "the bruhs like to go to church and then party."

What a close call..... I was thisclose to being right up under Mr. Marcus!

Also during my junior year, the most significant change in my life occurred leading me back to pursuing an NPHC fraternity. For an entire year, I lived with a Brian Pumper.... never once thinking too hard about pledging until after he left....but it was his friendship that ignited my interest.... more to come...

Last edited by Senusret I; 05-30-2007 at 10:39 PM.