View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
SDT is open to women of all faiths and does pledge women of all faiths...and has since I was in school in the early 1970s.
The women themselves chose to not participate in formal recruitment a number of years ago...make that decades ago.

(Full disclosure - I am not an SDT but I am a U of Alabama alumna and still work with our chapter there.)

The chapter's house was originally on sorority row. Numbers shrank over the years - the campus lost two or three other NPC groups and SDT suffered as well. They had always been more selective in pledging. Ultimately they could not maintan the house. With their national's permission, the chapter continued to meet at the Hillel Foundation and continued to pledge a few women each year via COB.

The house was rented to a succession of fraternities and sororities whose houses were undergoing remodeling or new construction.
Recruitment numbers began to grow, and SDT began pledging more members, still through COB. The chapter rents a university-owned house close to what we call new fraternity row. There are several of these university-owned houses together. Theta Tau occupies one, NPHC groups and fraternities occupy the others.

SDT continues to conduct its own separate recruitment, as does Alpha Delta Chi, the Christian sorority which is unhoused. Their numbers, I'm pleased to report, continue to grow.

Delta Gamma returned to campus in 2011, and Sigma Kappa will return this fall. ALL the sororities have built new houses or are in the process of building new houses. Once the "fruit basket turnover" ends of sororities occupying "swing houses" (3 old sorority houses) while the new house is being built, perhaps SDT can return to sorority row and remodel one of the current older houses, or build a new one.

I do hope an Alabama SDT member will appear and correct me!
Thank you.