View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It took me all semester to yank myself out of a physically/verbally abusive relationship. I told my sisters about it the night before initiation, and they didn't judge me for not being strong enough to leave - instead they comforted and supported me. They let me know that I wasn't in it alone. Heck, they even offered to round up the chapter to take him on if I needed it and beat him down with stilettos. Knowing I had such an amazing support group allowed me to have an unbelievable initiation day, because for once I didn't have to worry about boyfriend making me feel worthless.

Fast forward one month. I was able to distance myself a bit from boyfriend a bit by immersing myself in sisterhood events, PR, etc. for the sorority. The relationship kept getting worse though, but I was able to finally break up with him. That night, we had a recruitment workshop and I told them that I had finally left him. The amount of support I received was absolutely astounding. I don't think I would have been strong enough to stay away from the man I honestly thought I would marry if I didn't have my chapter's support. My Big was absolutely thrilled when I told her - it made me realize that I had made the correct decision. Reactions like hers have given me the motivation to stay away from him instead of slipping back into the abuse cycle.

My sisters saved me from him, and have been great about helping me rebuild the self-esteem he crushed. I am so thankful for my sisters. <3