View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's put this in perspective. The U of Mich has 25 IFC fraternities and 15 NPC sororities. Eight were investigated for hazing (six fraternities and two sororities) and half of those were found in violation. The other 4 that were investigated were cleared. The investigation lasted six months and involved interviews with over 150 members. I think the whole thing made quite an impact on the Greek system as a whole. The groups who do not haze are already being punished by the actions of those 4 groups as interest in greek life is significantly down on this campus. They are embarrassed to wear letters on campus. They have lost a lot of respect as a group. While I am all for firm and decisive actions when a chapter is found to have been hazing, I don't agree that all the others should also be punished. The fact that these incidents came to light to officials shows that they policed themselves pretty effectively. The four groups who were investigated and cleared of any wrong doing probably have it the worst right now. Everybody will only remember that the chapters were under investigation, not what the outcome was. To severely restrict groups that are doing what they should and living up to the ideals of their organizations leaves them no incentive to continue to do the right thing. Let the punishment fit the crime and if there is no crime, then there should be no punishment.

Dee