View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I'm happy that you got your first choice! Did your neighbor ever pledge?

My rush roommate plus another cheerleader went to 2 pref parties each and neither got a bid.

The 70s seem like such strange times in a recruitment sense (assuming you went through recruitment in the 70s?)

I was just talking to some Miami OH chapter alumnae about how it was for them. There were 25 NPCs on campus (deferred recruitment) and it was a reasonably regular thing for girls to go through, attend 3 prefs and not receive a bid.

...and I thought the pre-RFM early 2000s were bad. Most people DID get bids then, but it was normal to attend a full slate of Philanthropy Round parties (all 6) only to be cut down to 2 for House Tours. Or the most common story: having same strong/high return chapters on your schedule through House Tours, only for them to cut you after that (Pref was next day.) Lots of tears and dropouts back then just out of pure shock because you were under the impression all week that Kappa loved you. (Because they kept inviting you back.) I also heard a lot of "XYZ promised me a bid" back then. Moreso than now. Kappa has no room to fake promise you a bid because they have to cut 65%.

There are lots of RFM gripes but I appreciate that it forces the stronger groups to "rip off the bandaid early" so to speak.

/hijack

Lakers Nation.