View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

OP, I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of gifted college students and a lot of college students who have danced competitively their entire lives. And they went on to become MDs, PHD's, you name it. And they're in sororities!

I can think of three chapter sisters off the top of my head who were premed, honors program, and dancers. One in particular does advanced neuroscience research for a living now and is a professional dancer for a major NFL team. She was the cutest thing, lived in the sorority house, was captain of the school dance team, graduated close to a 4.0, got into a top medical school. My own little sister was a double major in molecular and micro biology, danced her whole life, lived in, was philanthropy chair, and went to tons of social events. Another girl with similar credentials went on compete in Miss Florida.

I appreciate that you consider your child special and unique and talented. But she's going to college next year. There are a ton of kids there who will blow your child out of the water academically, intellectually, and talent-wise. They're all hypothetical sorority material. So is your daughter.

I'm not really sure what else to tell you, except that I get that your knickers are in a snit and you probably won't let your daughter rush solely because of a few condescending remarks made by a group of strangers on a website.

ETA: if you are leaning toward recruitment at the SEC schools, start contacting everyone you know (teachers, church friends, parents of her friends) to ask if anyone knows alumnae of the sororities represented at her school and how to contact them for recommendations. You mentioned that you have Greek relatives, so reach out to them, too. Also, locate the Alumnae Panhellenic nearest to your hometown. Finally, read the thread linked in my signature. There's a lot of info about recs in there.

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.