View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
Wanted to get some opinions on whether some people with experience think going Greek would be a good option for my daughter. Below is info/ description of her.

She wants to go to a large university and be part of a nationally ranked College Dance Team. This will involve many hours of practice and performances.

She is truly gifted (IQ 148) and gets impatient with demands that she sees as not being "logical".

However, she seems to be fairly out-going/ social in an independent way.

She would really enjoy participating in the philanthropic activities of a sorority.

Overall, she is attractive and physically fit.

She plans on going to Med school- so I am not sure that some of the political connections made in a sorority would be of as much value to her as someone majoring in other fields.

She will likely participate in Honors program and do intern research

Even though she is "geeky" because of being smart, she is also very hip because she does all types of dance- including killing hip-hop.

The summary here is that she is very unique and I just don't know if her uniqueness plus other commitments would result in her not enjoying Greek life.
Also of note is that she can not afford a semester of bad grades due to the rush week and expectations put on her when she is a new member. Not sure if this is a factor or not or if the sororities would be considerate of her commitment to academics, dance team, and research.

Any advice would be appreciated.
This struck me as odd. Often we are asked to do things that don't seem "logical" in the course of life as part of learning and growing, and this isn't relegated to sorority membership. Are you talking about hazing? Or doing "silly" things like ice-breakers or hanging out with sisters to get to know them better?

I think that you need to step back and let your very special snowflake figure it out for herself. It's a choice that she needs to make. Only she will know if sorority recruitment (one week in most cases) and/or membership is worth the time and energy commitment. Sororities usually look for well-rounded members. Successful students make for successful members. School is first, and if she doesn't think that she can handle membership on top of her studies and other interests, then she needs to make that decision