View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I am also in the Order of the Eastern Star (PHA), which isn't greek obviously, but still....

The only big difference for me was that I did join at different points of my life. When I pledged Gamma Sig, I was a 19 year old college student. When I joined OES, I was a bit older at 26. I was more mature when I joined OES which was a good thing. I don't think I would have been ready for it if I'd joined at a younger age.

I don't indentify more with one or the other--both are very important to me and I do equal amounts of work with both. I represent for both at all times and both organizations have contributed to who I am as a young woman.

I guess my only concern with Gamma Sigs joining other organizations that are more "prominent" is that they tend to "forget where they came from" and don't give GSS a second thought; thus you have many Gamma Sigs that are leery of those who join the organization just to get service hours to pledge another sorority (it happens). There's not a lot we can do about that other than continue to encourage those members to continue to be active with us.

I too am interested in joining another sorority, but I'm at the point in my life in which I'd really have to be sure if it is something I can handle both time-wise and financial-wise as well. For the moment I'm perfectly happy with my GSS and OES membership; they both keep me equally busy!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."