View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
My house didn't have security (in the 80's), but really, we could have. There were some pretty frightening incidents of weirdos and break ins at or near all of the sorority houses on campus. And with some of the houses holding upwards of 100 girls now and NOT being budget housing, it makes complete sense to me to add security.

I can't imagine you will be walking the floors of the house. It is an actual house after all. But I imagine you'll be frequently checking the doors and functioning more as a door man. Maybe making sure the kitchen stays locked after hours

My advice to you, having lived in secure apartment buildings, is know all of the girls by name, know their boyfriends and best friends (subtly of course) BUT don't try to become a friend or boyfriend. Also, when 50+ girls all live together, there is a world of drama that you can't even imagine, particularly at that very special time of the month (and yes, they really do sync up). Stay out of the drama and know the difference between a girl having a meltdown at her boyfriend and abuse. Unfortunately, we did have an abused sister and it would have been great to have an ex-soldier there to kick his arse.

Let us know how it goes! I'm also interested to hear how this will actually work.
I was curious to come back and see if anything was added to this post. Thanks for the reply. This is what I was looking for on this thread. I like posting on forums such as security info watch and officer.com to get insight, but this post is sorta a special position and fairly unusual in the law enforcement/security/military community.

I suppose it will be up to the house director how far or how restrained she wants me to take things. Having studied a variety of security/law enforcement topics, I consider myself well versed in what I can and cannot do under the law as a citizen and a private guard. That said, in general, most companies and clients like to limit what their guards do even more. It all comes back to vicarious liability.

For example, the law might allow me to physically remove someone under trespassing who I believe poses a threat to the property or people on it, but does the house director want me to take such action or would she rather me watch the subject while police arrive.

There is a certain point I have learned, however, where I go from security guard to human being, plain and simple. Like the boyfriend abuse you suggested. The rules might say to "observe and report" an incident such as someone being assaulted or battered, but when it comes to something I can stop or prevent, even under threat of termination, I will still step in, despite not being legally obliged to do so.

In any case, I suspect the main job will involve patrolling outside the resident. My research indicates the biggest problem in this particular neighborhood is vehicle burglaries, followed by home burglaries and, obviously, alcohol related charges such as drunk in public. I fully expect all burglaries on this residence to go to zero while I am there.

Also, still haven't heard back from client end. Guess approval is slow or maybe they need approval from higher up to add a guard.