View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Whether it's fair or not, rushing as a junior puts you at a disadvantage. The chapters with the "cool guys" are simply going to have more guys interested in them, so they are going to look for the guys who match their profile or have more years to be a part of the chapter.

Like the previous poster said, you need to cast a wider net. Go to the chapters that would be a good fit for you, not where it may not be a good match in the long run. Be prepared to articulate why you want to join as a junior without saying anything that could be a "red flag" about your sincerity or your ability to fit in. If you have friends in fraternities, go there first because they can maybe pull you in. Ask your female friends on campus which chapters they would recommend or if they could put in a good word for you. In other words, use your network.

I, too, was not athletic and delayed joining for different reasons. I then joined one of the "rebuilding" chapters on campus and had no regrets. I made some great friends and building the chapter together became one of our common bonds. Going Greek enabled me to meet many more people on campus than I would have otherwise.