Thread: New Member 101
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 AM

*If you ever have the opportunity to get involved with Panhellenic Council (whether it be as an Exec. Board member, recruitment counselor, or Judicial Board member) - PLEASE DO SO! It's a great opportunuty to learn Panhellenic policies. I served on J-board once and it was very enlightening. I gained so much information about recruitment rules and other policies. Not to mention I got to interact with girls from other sororities.

*Let your place of employment know IN ADVANCE if you need time off from work for any event.

*Know the standards that your chapter holds you to (participation, financial, etc). Does your chapter have a merit points system for participation? Do you get fined? These are important for you to keep in mind.

*Don't get discouraged if things are confusing in the beginning. It gets better as you start to understand how the chapter works.

*Unless you have a class, or are otherwise excused, be on time. Plan accordingly to do so.

*Don't sweat it if you have some friends who decide not to hang out with you because you joined a sorority. It happens sometimes. Your true friends will be excited for you or at least respect your decision and understand that you are still the same person.

*On that same note, if you have good friends who are not Greeks, DON'T forget about them. Make dates to hang out REGULARLY. Sometimes the only people you'll want to see are those friends who have no clue what total, quota, no frills, and infractions are. I've been involved with my service group since freshman year, and those girls are some of my best friends. I can tell you they didn't stop being my friends when I joined Sigma. We honestly have gotten closer because I know I can call them anytime I'm feeling stressed.

Lakers Nation.