View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scpiano211
thank you. I just didn't want to drag MY specific letters in it. Even if I weren't in my particular sorority I would probably see it the same way because I know lots of people not join because they didn't join in college. I didn't even really know it existed until we initiated a lady as an alumnae and I didn't agree with initiating those out of school. To me, people can see it as an "easy in" if they don't join while in college and they'll in turn pay much cheaper dues. Also, I just don't see it as fair to people like myself that had to go through Recruitment 2 times to get into a sorority. I mean I have to work a job, maintain 15 to 17 hours worth of school, volunteer, and do things with my sorority. Whereas someone that's an alumnae, they will just deal with a possible career and a possible family.
First of all, if you think that getting initiated as an alumna is easier than going through rush, that shows how little you know about the process. Go through and read some of the threads about women who have initiated as alumnae. During my collegiate rush experience, all I had to do was go to some parties, make small talk and then I got a bid. These potential alumnae initiates must go through a process which is far more involved, far longer, and most of the time more difficult than collegiate rush. It is not "the easy way out." Were you subjected to a full background check before recruitment? Probably not. Did you have to spend months waiting to see if a group was going to invite you back? No. Were you only supposed to approach one group (or at the most, maybe two) at a time? No.

Not to mention that a family is a full-time job, 24 hours seven days a week, especially if you have young kids. And those who also have a job outside of the home will be working 40-60 hours a week. Personally, I think that's a little more stressful than college, and this is coming from someone who goes to school just as much as you do, balances homework, volunteer work, a boyfriend, and sorority, and has worked a job while at school in the past (although I don't currently). I think you are going to be disappointed if you expect "the real world" to be less stressful than college.