View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Thanks for linking that - I thought I had made a note about Delta Chi's founding on it, but apparently I did not!

To the OP - it seems unlikely that your personal religious beliefs will significantly impede your joining a fraternity (the organizations that require a statement of belief excluded of course). What you need to decide is if fraternity membership is worth swearing an oath that is to God, contains the phrase "so help me God", taken over a religious text, or the like. If this is a non negotiable for you, most organizations are probably going to be out (obviously I cannot speak for all groups' esoteric rituals). Regardless, I would encourage you to participate in recruitment and, if you receive a bid, try it out for a while before you decide if that is non negotiable for you. You may be more open to viewing such a statement in the historical context rather than the literal after being a member for some time. Or you may not, that's up to you.

I will add, for your information or future members with this question, that Delta Chi chapters are supposed to ascertain whether or not a member is willing to swear an oath to God before he is initiated, and there is an alternative for those who are not willing to do so. It should also be said that I don't believe many of our chapters actually ask this, but it is an option. Chapters with questions about this should contact the Headquarters office.