View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Breathesgelatin, as one of the people who has volunteered to help out with the ADPi colonization, do you think that not having the first term inside scoop on the freshmen will help or hurt? Please be brutally honest!
Ahh.... possibly. I mean, all the other sororities will have a pretty good idea in January of who they'd like in their pledge class. Maybe that's more than I should say, but it's the truth.

On the other hand, ADPi will be recruiting slightly different people. My guess is that a lot of upperclass women who weren't satisfied with their sorority options or who just didn't join before for whatever reason might now be interested in ADPi. (Certainly when I was a senior in 2005 a bunch of upperclass women went to the Panhel expansion presentations.) Also, W&L has gone through this same thing before with both Pi Phi and KD and both remain on campus as strong chapters.

I mean... I think that honestly ADPi is going to get a weird mix of people at first. I know from secondhand knowledge that the initial pledge classes of Pi Phi and KD were both pretty diverse... it took a while for them to establish their chapter identities. The KD seniors when I was a freshmen (01-02 schoolyear) were in the chapter when most of the KD founding class (recruitment 1997, thus graduating class 2000) were there. The KD seniors when I was a freshman were frankly not like the girls who pledged KD when I pledged Pi Phi... it took a while for KD to sort of establish its identity. What I know of Pi Phi's colonization (from founding alums who advised our chapter) presents a similar story: some upperclassmen/transfers, some girls who were hardcore Pi Phi legacies, some girls who were interested in starting something new and some who were just like... ok. The thing is that the way they did matching when KD and Pi Phi colonized was that the colonizing group had a quota of 70 and everybody else divided what was left... so frankly, ADPi is going to get MOST of the girls. Also due to the way the numbers will work, they're probably going to get some girls that didn't necessarily want ADPi as their first choice (this would again match up with my anecdotal knowledge of past W&L colonizations). The competition for the 20 or so spots the other houses each have is probably going to be fierce - a lot of girls are probably going to want to join groups that are a known factor and where they have upperclassmen friends. So a lot of girls that listed other places second might end up with ADPi in bid matching.

This is all my conjecture based on what I know of past recruitments (which is pretty extensive, but obviously not infallible and obviously W&L could have changed the way they're doing colonization from the past). So... take it with a grain of salt. I think ADPi is going to have a great colonization! I just think they're going to get a really diverse group of girls and it's going to take a while for them to really find their identity on campus.