View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post

It's like when you hold up your hand to show where you are from in Michigan -- it seems so obvious. Why don't non-Michiganders get that?

BTW, does everyone in the Detroit area still explain where they live by stating the nearest mile-marker intersection, as in "12 mile and Telegraph?"
Of course we do. How else would you tell someone where you live? It's kind of like in Jersey, they want to know which exit of the turnpike... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

So I had to tell him that (a) Phi isn't anywhere near Epsilon in the Greek alphabet, (b) Chi is the next letter after Phi, (c) no, Chi is not pronounced "Chai" as in the Hebrew word for life, and (d) maybe we should just go with the NATO phonetic alphabet instead. (Which is what we went with. We both know this, as it's very useful for specifying hex numbers like MAC addresses and for spelling out our last name.)
I'm loving the idea of a fridge named Eta. I can't believe you didn't go with Zeta & Eta! Of course, if it's a wine fridge... I Eta bottle of wine doesn't quite work...