View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl,

To clarify, I do not think my sorority is exceptionally homogeneous, but I do agree that I have been exceptionally lucky to be welcomed by members of my sorority everywhere I have lived near a chapter or an alum group.

I pledged my sorority at one school. I was initiated there and was a full member for two years.

Due to family illness needing me at home, I transferred to another school, affiliated with my sorority chapter at the new school as a collegian over the summer, and was a full member for two years.

I attended grad school in another state and served as an advisor for the chapter.

I got married and moved to another state, where I served as Chapter Director to the chapter near me. Several area girls attended this school for two years and then transferred to larger school and affiliated with the chapters at the new school. Almost all of these affiliations were successful. These girls were moving from a small school to a large school with competitive Greek systems. I helped them make contacts at the new school in advance and let both sides get to know each other.

I have since then served as an advisor to 2 other chapters as I followed my Army husband around the States.

Yes, being a chapter member is different from being an advisor, but I have made friends everywhere I have been involved with my sorority.

Army towns can be different. I once who had just moved to the area follow me home because she saw the sorority sticker on my car and wanted to meet a sister.

She is still a good friend.

I know this reply is years later, but it has always bugged me that I never clarified my situation and why I though my experience might encourage someone.