View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

After

The GLO director was actually *removed* from his position at the end of the semester. I was really disappointed by how he handled the entire situation. I'm sure the other PNMs were, too.

I finished out the semester, but was very lonely. All of my close friends had become consumed with their respective houses, and I was kind of squeezed out of the picture. I realized that I had a lot hinging on my membership to a sorority, and was not actually happy at the University I attended. I was a very involved girl, but just didn't feel attached to anything at this school. I think I made myself believe that joining a sorority would curb some of those feelings by granting a sense of belonging and purpose.

My mom suggested that I look into transferring. I wasn't terribly keen on the idea at first, but was totally on board with slinking away for a few weekends (strategically planned around my roommate's/friends' initiation or other greek heavy events. {I'm not usually a sore loser, but it was SO HARD to be around everybody!}) with my mom to visit other schools.

I ended up applying to two, and was accepted to one and waitlisted to the other. I felt such a strong connection to the student bodies at both schools and knew that I would be so happy at either.

Mom, little sister (a rising hs senior), and I went on another visit to the school I was accepted to. On this visit I really felt it. I felt so at home and energized-- things I never felt at my initial school. After weighing my options very heavily, I decided to transfer schools.

I debated whether or not I should rush at this new school. Going greek was still something I really wanted, but sorority recruitment here is VERY competitive...and I wasn't sure if I would want to risk being actually rejected by every sorority (a not-so-uncommon ending for PNMs here).
I decided to give it a whirl. I figured if nothing else, I would get to meet a lot of new faces (I didn't know anybody at this school when I transferred) and I think I would have always regretted not participating.