View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Sunday, Round 4: Preference

As I meticulously fixed my hair, carefully applied my makeup, and slipped into my black dress for that day, I began to reflect on the week and all that had happened thus far. Was it possible for time to both fly by and move at a snail’s pace simultaneously? Earlier that week, I hadn’t a clue as to where I could belong, who I might mesh with, or where the wind would take me. I was now about to enter my final day of recruitment with mixed feelings. I was nervous, I was hopeful, and I was confused. I knew in my heart that I truly would’ve been happy to see any of the houses that I had visited the day before on my list. I was also incredibly surprised to hear about how many girls had been dropped from recruitment all together throughout the week, and my heart went out to them. I had figured that everyone would receive a bid if they stuck it out through the week, but that had turned out to not be the case. Many of my friends that had entered into recruitment with me had found themselves broken-hearted after answering release phone calls from their Rho Gams as the week went on. I was given my schedule, and I opened it to see:

Blueberry Cobbler

I smiled. Blueberry Cobbler. I had consistently loved this house throughout the week, and I was so glad to see them on my schedule that I barely even gave a second thought to Lemon Pound Cake or Strawberry Shortcake.

Blueberry Cobbler: The sisters sang a quietly as we came in, and I loved that. I was paired with a girl that I had met and loved earlier during the week. She led me into a room where two sisters sang an absolutely beautiful song, and another sister read a letter to one of her closest friends in the chapter. We were then led into the main area where the seats were arranged in the shape of their symbol. The president spoke so honestly about her chapter. We heard more speeches, and I talked with another girl that I had clicked really well with that week before they sang us out the door.

Ranking was simpler than simple. I cast my vote as:
1. Blueberry Cobbler

I ended up asking my Rho Gam if I was guaranteed a spot in Blueberry Cobbler. She told me that nothing is promised, but that I should remain hopeful. Ever since I was very little, my mom has always told me that what is meant to be, will be. Although this phrase is often hard to hear because it’s usually brought up in times of stress or worry, I appreciated the truth of it at that moment. If it was meant to be, it would be.