View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
IMHO, when we lumped having to have pledge books signed and maybe a scavenger hunt into the same category as being forced into alcohol abuse and pledge line ups, the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. I think that blurring that line has done much more harm than good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
So much this. Initiation shouldn't be a participation trophy. Nor should it require degradation, illegal activities and humiliation. I don't think the space between those two ideas is a small space.
It becomes a small space when people turn something that's seemingly innocent into something illegal.

I participated in a scavenger hunt when I was pledging. We simply had to follow clues and find sisters around campus to answer questions about our sorority's history. It was fun. Then there was another chapter who packed way too many people into a car and drove around town stealing street signs and lawn ornaments.

Unfortunately, sometimes when you give someone an inch they take a mile. However, I do believe there could have been less drastic measures taken to ensure that illegal actions be avoided. A more gradual approach may have landed us on a happy medium.

@~/~~~~