View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 05:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
because men think more logically than women and all sorority girls are the girly-girl type?

Not so sure how I feel about THAT.

No one is challenging the notion that if a PNM doesn't feel comfortable with a house, she shouldn't go there. In fact, the ONE non-Panhellenic thing we all seem to agree on is that sometimes, suiciding a house (ISP) is a good choice for some people.

Quote:
a PNM should be able to make a free and clear decision based on all her available choices....even if it means deciding to Single Intentional Preference, drop out, or accept a bid. She should be able to do so without the hassle of people lecturing her about how she should keep an open mind about a group she truly dislikes. This also means not treating all freshmen like mere children just because they are young.
This I disagree with. We have Rho Chis for a reason -- they are women who are older, have been through the sorority experience, and, now that they've had the chance to get to know the NPC from the other side, they are also getting to know the PNMs in a way the sororities don't during rush.

I am completely fine with allowing the Rho Chis to "lecture" incoming rushing freshmen. Only at my school we call it "counseling" the PNMs because guess what? Sometimes they have a hard time making decisions and they ASK their PX for help!

As for treating them like children -- some 1st semester freshmen are 17 years old. So, legally, they ARE children. But more importantly, there is a LOT that goes on in your head and heart during the next four years of college. Please don't tell me there's no difference between the decisions of a 17 or 18 year old and the decisions of a 21 or 22 year old. A new freshman has been on campus for as little as a week, away from her parents, possibly for the first time, possibly in a new state, possibly with NO friends -- and you want her to make informed, mature decisions about a greek system she may know NOTHING about in a new environment where she knows she's been judged based on 10 minute parties all week long?

I'm sorry, but I'm a HUGE fan of PX counseling. At my school the PXes were very throughly considered -- we always had about ten apply from each sorority, and took only two or three -- and the girls were wholeheartedly devoted to making sure the PNMs found their "home." Why else would they cut off all affiliation with their sisters for months on end?

I'm not saying they never made mistakes. I'm saying they were hardly the bullying, dictorial entities you seem to be describing, taking control over the 17 year old PNMs and forcing them at gunpoint into the arms of XYZ who's been struggling the last two years.

and btw: I think a LOT of PNMs are interested in a struggling house -- I was, too. Phi Sigma Sigma on my campus was struggling when I went through (they're doing great now -- what a dedicated group of ladies!) and I SERIOUSLY considered going Phi Sig because I knew I'd make a huge difference there and be a driving force from day one. What eventually happened was a group of HS friends COB rushed, pledged (the bledge group was like twice the sisterhood) and "took over" the sorority. They knew they could turn the group into whatever they wanted (and in this case, that was a great thing!)