View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

As shameful as this situation is, it should be noted that the campus—in particular, the Greek culture—is far from blameless, despite the outrage being expressed by students and the administration. To quote from a few letters to The DePauw:

http://media.www.thedepauw.com/media...-2731281.shtml

Quote:
Being a DZ was difficult, especially during rush. Rumors spread that we were not cute, not partiers, not popular. Every year we fought to combat those stereotypes. We only pledged "cute" girls. We dressed up for class. We made sure to party at fraternities. We had meetings about our image. But it still wasn't good enough. So we decided to be ourselves, to concentrate on sisterhood.

But you, the campus, didn't bite. You believed the rumors over the reality. That's when nationals revamped the Delta Zeta image and placed 23 women on alumnae status.

Women on campus: Why did you choose not to join Delta Zeta? Was it because we were unsocial? Unfriendly? Ugly? Or was it because you were scared to not be in the popular house?
http://media.www.thedepauw.com/media...-2731285.shtml

Quote:
The problems with DZ did not happen overnight, so if Kathi Heatherly has 25 years of experience with Delta Zeta, ... why didn't she demand changes by the governing councils about acceptable behavior of greek organizations toward one another when the despicable actions and attitudes of the other sororities and fraternities started years ago toward DZ?

The reorganization of DZ will not work as long as the greek population continues to exhibit the shallow mentality pervasive at DePauw. I wonder how the new "bottom" sorority will feel when the other sororities now shun them because interacting with them will affect their social standing? I told my daughter not to pledge DZ because of their reputation, but she said they were genuine, authentic girls unlike the superficial, materialistic "Barbie Doll" sororities. ...

I am proud of my daughter for seeing that nurturing, authentic relationships are important in life, rather than how many Jimmy Choo shoes you own or whether you have a pretty face. You can lose all that in a blink of an eye. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be a value important to DZ nationals or the other greek organizations. Twenty-nine Delta Zetas are now cheated out of memories that the other greeks will have. After only one semester in the house, my daughter's "memories" as a new alumna are memories of the semester from hell.
http://media.www.thedepauw.com/media...-2716354.shtml

Quote:
Some of the very sorority women who now demand explanations were previously unwilling to accept a dinner invitation to Delta Zeta because they were concerned the association might hurt their own social prestige. Some fraternities refused to hold functions with Delta Zeta and others forbid their members to date Delta Zetas. ... For years DePauw students have encouraged freshmen to pledge "anywhere but DZ." Yet they now respond with indignation?