View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj74 View Post
In my opinion, mediocre or average grades is in the 3.0-3.5 category, which will not prevent someone from being in a sorority. It may get a PNM cut from certain chapters, but there are definitely places for average PNM's. Even if it is just in the context of a generalization, I would hate for a PNM to read the title of this thread and find it unnecessarily discouraging.

I got in my sorority, at an SEC school, with a 2.9 after my first year of college. I did rush twice, but I had a good experience during my first rush, even though it didn't end the way I'd hoped. I also got my highest semester GPA the semester after I joined. So a PNM worried about grades should just make sure they have everything else in order and go through it and hope for the best. I feel like being outgoing, friendly, and presenting myself well ultimately outweighed my grades. it may not work that way for everyone, but it's worth a shot. Anyone with grade concerns needs to work hard on recs, outfits, conversation and just cross their fingers and hope for the best. There's more to be gained than to be lost

And I would argue that being in a sorority helps grades for a number of reasons. The required study hours, the motivation of wanting to go to events, and having automatic study groups/tutors among your sisters can help a lot. Networking 100% can help with academics and grades. Like everyone keeps saying, there's exceptions to everything, but I think there's enough people that "better under pressure" personality to be worth mentioning. That's a really common trait.

Just my thoughts. I understand what OP was trying to say, and academics do need to be emphasized among PNM's who are unaware of how important they are to Greek life. But I also think there's a balance in acting like sororities are only for the 4.0 class presidents types. I don't know how sororities have changed over the years, but this is my view as a current student and sorority member. Greek life may not be for everyone, but it is more inclusive and accessible than some people believe. That's part of what makes it so wonderful.

And yes, you can graduate with a 2.5. Particular majors may require higher, but a 2.5 is a B/C average, with a 2.0 being a C average. I've known people to graduate with 1.somethings. Not saying that's good, and I agree with the grad school comment, just throwing that out there.

1. Super glad you got a bid but I find that the low grade girls get cut heavy. You had an unsuccessful first recruitment, yes? Were you cut heavy both times or did you have a full schedule every day both times?

2. Is it all they're looking for? No - but balance is everything.

3. Yes. You can graduate with a 2.5 at some schools. But that is pretty bare minimum and it's not incredibly helpful unless you're well connected in the area.

Lakers Nation.