View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

looking to join a grad chapter of alpha kappa alpha sorority inc., but my grades...

Greetings to all the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.:
I recently graduated from a four year accredited institution however I did not do so well. I was a non-traditional student working often and also had a series of personal pains (deaths/personal illnesses/etc) cause me to do poorly. I later realized that although I was placed in a number of unfortunate circumstances, ultimately I honestly do believe that I could have done better. Throughout high school I have had a series of academic achievements and it is clear that my performance in college did not reflect my best work.
According to your national website the minimum requirement to be a part of the organization is a C+. A C+ is actually a 2.33. Is this GPA acceptable? I do understand that your ideal candidates exceed minimum expectations but the reality is, everyone has a rough patch in their life. I have always been heavily involved in my community and would love to be a part of an organization that focuses on economic empowerment etc. in the black community.
I did achieve the C+ if a 2.33 is recognized as such and I was wondering if I would be eligible for membership assuming I met all other qualifications. I was also wondering if it would be appropriate to email a graduate chapter requesting to be on their e-mailing list. I’m not sure if that counts as solicitation since graduate membership is by invitation only.
I looked at several chapters of your organization and found that some require a 2.0 if you have a bachelor’s degree and some require a 3.0. I am hoping that I meet the requirements because I missed out on a lot in college but I really don’t want to compromise my eligibility to be a part of this organization. I also am planning to go back to pursue a masters J
All comments are encouraged and welcome. If anything was said that seems inappropriate I do apologize my intention is to acquire knowledge not be disrespectful. Thank you in advance!