View Single Post
Old 03-28-2004, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Several of my chapter brothers (great friends) were advisors to the Beloit colony a few years back. I am actually close with a Beloit Beta too, he graduated in 1982 and sits on my chapters House Corp. board, and is a national rep. I am also very familiar with the group of national reps. who worked very hard to get our Chi chapter back on campus - it is a real shame it didn't work out, it would have been great to get Chi back and running.....

PS, it doesn't surpise me that those alumni did that, in the 70s and 80s, that chapter hazed and did drugs more than most chapters....those are probably the guys you are referring to. Just think, 20 years later, and they still don't friggen get it!!??

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
The guys who tried to bring Beta back had really only a few very enthuastic people. It was pretty much a group of soccer guys and then when they heard the colonization fee they felt a little taken aback, but generally it was lack of energy. Your Nat'l rep was wonderful, some guy from Miami Ohio.

I think part of the problem was that the fraternities were all hurting for numbers pretty bad, so there was that annimosity, then the cause of the charter being pulled is so famous in campus legend that it might have had an effect, though I am not sure how much of an effect. Your alumni were great though. We aren't allowed kegs on campus and the Homecoming while they were tyring to recolonize these 40 yr old men tried to sneak a keg in, and totally got busted and had to talk to the dean! lol it was hilarious!! The house itself unfortuantly, the most beautiful in my opion, is in pretty bad shape. They might tear it down, or they are gonna have to spend a ton to get it back to living standards. Probably in worst shape anywhere on campus. Sill has the original wood work and tiles, etc. It really is a beautiful space though. Also sad that Beta wasn't able to recolonize.