View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielove View Post
Hey guys. So excited to have found this website. I am a sophomore and I recently made the decision to go through informal recruitment/spring rush at my southern public institution. Ever since then, I go through these moments of questioning my decision and wondering if I am going in the right direction. I have looked into NPHC sororities but I just do not vibe with me. It's almost to the point where in order to even feel slightly comfortable, I have to talk a certain way and avoid saying certain things and i absolutely hate that. I feel that I would be a lot more happier in a panhellenic sorority. There's one in particular that I am gunning for because I get along so well with the members. Everything that I look for in a sorority, they posses it and I love that. There are numerous minorities in that particular sorority so I am less worried about that and more anxious about the backlash. I am scared of the backlash from other black students because we do self segregate ourselves at my school and I have heard people on numerous occasions making snide comments about the black girls that were in panhellenic sororities. I am also nervous about fitting in with the other girls because of so many cultural differences. I have already made up about at least going through with the process because I want to give it a chance but were I to be given a bid, I do not know if I would accept it. Anyone have any advice? I would really love to hear them especially from any black girls in npc. Thanks!
When you're at a recruitment party/COB event and find yourself talking to a racial minority sister, you could ask her about her experiences. It would be more relevant to your situation and campus climate than anything someone here could tell you.