View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I'm a professional firefighter and I attend to these wildfires every season. I have to tell you, there is seemingly no rhyme or reason how some things get burnt and some don't. Sure, people who have cleared defensible space around their homes greatly increase their chances of keeping their properties. Some building construction types also fare better than others (eg. stucco siding and tile roofs vs shake shingle roof). Though, beyond those factors, the fire just does what it does.

I hope these photos won't be upsetting to you. Here's an example of what I mean -- I took these pictures at the Carr Fire in Redding, CA in 2018. The fire tore through a neighborhood and burned down a bunch of homes. This home actually made the news and the homeowner gave on-camera interviews; so, I don't think he would mind me sharing the pictures. We were patrolling the burned out neighborhood and looking for any hot spots to put out. This man's house was destroyed, as was his neighbor's; but, look at this red patio awing. And that's a cloth cover, mind you. It wasn't burned! We were amazed and thought, "Where did he buy it?!" Like, whole house is down except the patio cover and cushions?! FYI, that white thing in the background that looks like a telephone booth is their shower stall. The fire took out a tile bathroom; but, not a red awing a few feet away.

Thank you for sharing the images, thank you for your service and please stay safe.