View Single Post
Old 01-09-2002, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeriousSigma22
It's not about overlooking our non-AA sorors and frat brothers, however, its about being careful how we as members of our perspective BGLOs present and preserve our rich history. Most of the T-shirts I wear have my seven founders' faces plastered all over the gear or I wear shirts and jackets with just the Greek letters, the chapter that I'm a member of, and my line name; because I pledged during the Spring of 83, displayed on my gear. I don't know how we could incorporate their reflection on our wear with out changing or distorting the rich history of the perspective BGLOs.
I didn't take the original question to mean that you should change how the founders look - that wouldn't make much sense at all. However, what if someone came out with a T-Shirt, or wall hanging that showed the myriad ethnicities that exist within your sisterhood? What if Sigma Gamma Rho HQ decided to print promotional materials with different ethnicities represented alongside their African American sisters? Do you feel that this would somehow change the 80 plus years of history that Sigma Gamma Rho has heralded?

History is one thing - you can't dispute the facts of an organization's inception and infancy. But history isn't stagnant, and it never stops being written. You can adapt how an organization represents itself to meet the changing needs of society; just think of how in years past non-Whites were never used in advertising, but now seeing them has become a commonplace occurrence.