View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The grocery store I shopped at was this AMAZING place with piles of every kind of vegetable you could think of and way more you've never heard of, plus 6 or 8 kinds of eggplant, a couple kinds of ginger, etc., all at way cheaper than the fancy British store. You had to pick through everything because they went from the field (in India, Jordan and Egypt mostly, but some from Europe) to the bins and they could be bruised, rotten, buggy, etc. But they tasted like actual vegetables and cheap enough to take chances. So the time after I bought this crazy vegetable, like a zucchini but had seeds in the middle sort of like a cucumber, but quite firm and bland like a raw potato. I tried to treat it like a zucchini and it was gross. So the next time I was at the store, there was this Indian guy picking some out, so I cornered him and asked him what it was, what it's used for etc. He said it's used for soups. Cut it up and boil it (like a potato). It's very bland and doesn't improve. What I got is that it's really just used for filler. But it turned out the guy was the head chef at one of the more famous Indian restaurants in Dubai. Akin to randomly asking a guy a question at the grocery store and having it be Wolfgang Puck. So there you go. I did better with the weird fruits, crazy sized bananas, etc. Who knew a grocery store could carry 5 varieties of bananas?