View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl2008 View Post
Ok...assuming you do use the point system right? How does that show any type of brotherhood. That just means that you have time to give to the organization. Good, but why should I trust or treat this person any differently then anyone I could've met in any random club?
How does someone whooping your ass show brotherhood? I've said this several times before -- the brotherhood that I've felt in my (almost) 7 years in my organization has come from casual interactions with brothers. The events of my pledge program were interesting for stories, but did not determine how my life as a Greek panned out.
Quote:
KSUviolet, I voted for Obama back in November b/c I thought he was better than McCain. However, I do not think we need the bailout or healthcare for everyone. What we need is to let people be responsible for themselves. I am sick and tired of Americans constantly complaining about everything and anything like little kids. If you bought a house you can't afford. Tough. It was your choice. If you didn't save anything for retirement. Tough. The next generation is probably going to have to take care of themselves b/c Medicare and Social Security (which is a giant Ponzi Scheme btw) so as Americans we should learn to be responsible and take responsibility for our actions. Likewise, if you're truly an adult at 18, I would think you would know right from wrong so I would assume you know when to quit.
LOL I think you missed the sarcasm in her post...

Quote:
And as I said, this thread is assuming hazing involves pushups/situps whatever so please don't show me things about getting beaten to death or water poisoning b/c I'm already sold on those.
Like I said in my earlier post, the "light" hazing is usually a gateway for more severe activity.

Quote:
I like to compare it to a football practice or any sport for that matter. If you're hydrated and pushed yet people are more careful, what exactly is the problem? I agree things get out of hand. However, let's assume they don't. Would your thoughts be any different? Say those kids never died? Would we still be having this discussion?
We can't assume that hazing doesn't get out of hand because it does. If people didn't get hurt and die, we wouldn't have hazing laws popping up. 18- to 21-year-olds are going to act silly in general, so giving them the option to have a hazing free-for-all isn't smart.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 03-12-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammar