View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Renting is different than selling, though, and bidding wars don't typically happen. I would recommend that maybe you sort through all the applications first, get everyone checked out (charge an application fee to cover the cost of credit/background check, and GET THE CREDIT/BACKGROUND CHECK), then go from there. Or you could pull it down and then list it at a higher price, if you choose to do so.

I can guarantee you that if I saw an apartment listed for $1,200 online, went to see it, and then the landlord came back at me with "lots of other people are interested" I would say "Then I'm really not." Since I'm renting, my "feelings" about the space don't matter since I can live any place that meets my standards.
I see bidding wars pretty regularly. It's not the most ethical thing, but then again I live in the most competitive rental market in the country so maybe my views are a little skewed. Stuff like that may not fly in other places.

Landlords say "lots of other people are interested" all the time; brokers are even more vicious because they're working on commission.